Category Archives: ARTICLE SPOTLIGHT
I THOUGHT THIS WAS SO AMAZING SO I HAD TO SHARE IT HERE ON MY BLOG WITH YOU GUYS. PLEASE GO TO THE WEBSITE AND PURCHASE SOME OF THEIR AMAZING NATURAL PRODUCTS INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO SHEA BUTTER,COCONUT OIL,BLACK SOAP,ESSENTIAL OILS AND MUCH MORE THAT IS HIGH IN QUALITY BUT FAIR WITH PRICE! I KNOW THAT I WILL BE MAKING A HUGE PURCHASE SOON MYSELF!
Five years ago, Coastal Scents launched a special partnership with the Sekaf Shea Butter Village in Kasalgu, which is a small African village nestled near Tamale, the capital of the Northern Region of Ghana, in West Africa. Established in 2008, by a team of dedicated and hardworking American volunteers, this special cooperative project was launched to provide rural Ghanaian women an opportunity to generate substantial family income, send their children to school (in lieu of working in the fields), enhance their self-reliance through employment, and live with dignity by investing in their family’s futures.
Hey naturals! Summer is almost here…..and i am sure you all are ready to hit up the ocean, pools,amusement parks and more to stay cool. Want to know some ways to protect your hair while swimming? I know i sure did when i first went natural, because i was worried about the chlorine etc. in the water and if it would damage my hair or not… But over the couple years I’ve been natural, I learned that there is always a way for our hair to manage in all situations.
There is a pre-swim regimen and a post-swim regimen that coats and protects the hair to prevent dryness,damage and major frizz from chlorine and sea salt. Now for me i also love to use a swim cap along with these regimens because it prevents the water from having to much contact with the hair, however if you have longer hair this option is still possible but you will have to do a twisted or braided protective style and make sure that it is as flat as possible so that the cap will fit and there are other options as well besides wearing a cap. This is a great thing to know especially if you have children. Below are directions on how to protect your hair while swimming, rather you are in a pool or at the beach this is going to do wonders for your wavy,curly,kinky natural hair!
PREPARATION (before swimming):
- 1. SATURATE YOUR HAIR WITH TAP WATER- Drench your hair with regular tap water by using spray bottle or in the shower because doing this before swimming will soak up less chlorine (or sea salt) than if you was to go swim with dry hair.
- 2. APPLY A PENETRATING OIL – Apply a ton of coconut oil all over your hair and scalp before going swimming, this will provide extra protection against chlorine or sea salt (For even more protection apply coconut oil the night before,twist and wrap hair up for the night then just wake up the next day,soak hair with water again and continue the rest of the steps below). You can also apply castor oil same as you would the coconut oil.
- 3. COAT HAIR W/ CONDITIONER or SERUM(optional)– Then coat your hair with either regular conditioner,a cream leave in conditioner or a serum (this will create a barrier of protection between your hair strands and the chlorine). Some people prefer to skip this step and just stick with just applying the coconut oil or their shea butter/coconut oil mix as a barrier and coat because they do not want conditioner to be all over their body or in their mouth tasting it while swimming [yuck].
- 4. PROTECTIVE STYLE HAIR- After creating a barrier on your hair strands then its time to style your hair for the pool. It’s best to avoid leaving your hair loose as this may cause your hair to tangle or become matted which is more work for you after. So try quick styles like a high bun,pin & tuck or 1-2 large braids/flat twists, If you have even more time then put into as many single twists or braids as possible then pin up so you won’t have to worry about your hair hanging down making you hot (If you have to wear your hair loose then you cannot skip adding the conditioner or a thick oil such as castor oil as explained in step 3 above to be safe).
- 5. WEAR A SWIM CAP(optional)– You may also put on a swim cap if you like, this will create even more protection by making sure most of your hair will not have any contact with the water and remain dry. You may get edges wet so be prepared to pay lots of attention to that area after swimming for post hair care but at least it wasn’t your whole head and if the cap is not possible for you to do or you just not feeling it then you can always skip it altogether.
POST SWIM CARE (after swimming):
- 6. SHAMPOO HAIR- Rinse thoroughly with water then shampoo,you wanna make sure that it’s a clarifying shampoo (especially if you used a shea butter/coconut oil mix as you barrier) to make sure there is no build up left behind. You also want to make sure that the shampoo you choose is 100% vegan,sulfate free and/or paraben free. There are tons of swimmer friendly shampoos out there that are perfect for natural hair of all types. Here are a few great shampoos to choose from –>
- 7. CONDITION- Condition your hair as usual, you may do a hot oil or deep conditioning treatment if you feel its needed then moisturize & style as you desire (you need to put back as much moisture as possible, i recommend the L.O.C method after conditioning).
*****NOTE: Even if you have micros,box braids,kinky twists etc. already in your head you still want to follow steps 1-3 for prep and all steps for post swim to make sure your hair underneath is still getting the protection and treatment it needs)*****
These links below are some of the best I’ve found and they should help too. Good luck and have fun this summer!
CLICK LINKS TO READ THE FEATURED ARTICLES—>
PRE & POST SWIM VIDEOS–>
SWIMMING PROTECTIVE STYLE IDEAS–>
WOULD YOU GIVE THIS A TRY? WHAT IS YOUR NATURAL HAIR SWIMMING ROUTINE/REGIMEN?
Please share your thoughts and/or advice on this subject below in the comments! Have a great summer……
Black Girl with Long Hair Presents: The Top 10 Stories and Controversies Involving Natural Hair in 2013
Well it’s a new year and so much has happened in the natural hair community in the year 2013 that we all left behind. I wonder what we have in store for the year of 2K14, are we gonna be stronger than ever in ourselves or even in the media? How about being more acceptable of our hair l? Oh, and can we just STOP the massive hate of natural hair and styles?
Guess you can’t change the people in this world around us but we can change how we react and let it get to us….
Take a look at the link below to see the top 10 natural hair highlights of the past ___>
How do you feel about your fitness instructor being not so fit after all and having a few pounds on her just as you may have?
I honestly wont mind because we are on the same journey And share a common goal, unless she is not able to physically do the fitness routine or any complications that may interfere with it then maybe she shouldnt continue until doctor says its ok. I have mixed feelings about it honestly but i dont see why it’s not worth a try especially if she has history of success.
PLEASE LEAVE YOUR FEEDBACK IN COMMENTS BELOW, LETS TALK ABOUT IT…
Click below for more info…
Have you ever tried the loc method with your natural hair? Well if you having trouble moisturing or even trouble with detangling and keeping that hair manageable then you should definitely try this method!…. Now remember results depends on hair texture and porosity but that doesnt mean it won’t work,it basically just mean you use more for thicker hair such as 4c and up hair types and less if hair is thinner or softer textures such as 3c and lower types. Its all about trial and error while learning what works for your hair or doesn’t. Read more about the LOC Method by clicking the link to the article below.
CLICK HERE–> The Ultimate Guide to Humectants and Hair.
This was very helpful, i already knew a few things about humectants but this really was deep on the subject and helped me even more! This is the humectant season, so if you don’t know about it by now you need to read up on it ASAP because our hair needs as much moisture as it can get in this cold dry weather! Hope you enjoy this article!
If you have anything to say on this subject please comment below or share your experience that would be great!
HALLOWEEN IS ALMOST HERE! That time of the year where you can be anybody you wanna be in the world, but why not make it unique and you all in one while showing off those amazing curls and coils!
NaturallyCurly.com has a few idea right here featured in one of there curly comics—->